So based on everything above, with the key things to look for when buying a cat water fountain, it’s fair to say that the CatCare Ultra Clean fits the bill and is worthy of your consideration. It has other features that are worth highlighting too:
- Auto Water Shortage Protection – it uses sensors to detect the water level, and will stop the pump when the water level drops too low, so it won’t waste energy and the pump won’t be damaged trying to work when no water is available.
- Free-Falling Stream – the gentle stream of water from the spout will encourage cats to drink at a healthy rate, with the water flow creating a mild bubble effect that is more interesting than standing water.
- Date Wheel – each filter has a date wheel that you can mark to remind you when it needs to be swapped out.
- Fill Lines – it’s easy to see when there’s not enough water in the fountain, so you can top it up as necessary.
- Silicone Anti-Sleep Pads – the water fountain will stay in place and won’t slide around the floor as your cat drinks with these pads added to the base, even if they’re pushing at the fountain with their paws.
- Hidden Handle – easy to carry the fountain to top it up or clean it, without a large obtrusive handle spoiling the look of the product.
- Cable slot – keeps the cable pinned in place so it remains neat and organized.
Cat Fountain Alternatives
The PETLIBRO Glacier Pet Water Fountain is another viable option to keep your cats hydrated around the clock. The antibacterial stainless steel design and advanced, human grade water filter ensure your cats always have the purest drinking water on hand, free of any bacteria and other impurities.
The fountain comes equipped with a motion sensor, so it only turns on when it senses your cat nearby, helping save energy. That does not mean it is loud, as it produces a mere 28 decibels of sound, allowing you to place it in any corner of the house without the noise being a nuisance.
The container holds 2 liters of water, so you only need to refill once weekly. The filters last around two months each, and the water bowl is dishwasher safe, enabling hassle-free cleaning.
The fountain features indicator lights that alert you when the water dispenser needs a refill and when it’s time to replace the filter.
The PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda fountain is a fantastic choice if you care about the look of the fountain in your home. It’s very modern, and made from quality ceramic, so it really does look great.
But that’s not the important reason for choosing a fountain – and this one does still tick a lot of other boxes for your kitty too. It has a 70 oz capacity and it constantly cycles the water through its carbon filters, purifying it and making sure it tastes as good as it can for your cats.
It’s also a good choice for homes with two or more cats, since it has a drinking area at each side – they can share without having to get in each other’s way or wait their turn.
The Pioneer Pet Raindrop Fountain is another that constantly circulates the water to make it more appealing for your cat – and with a charcoal filter, it helps to make sure any nasties are removed and that the water tastes great for your kitty.
The Raindrop Fountain comes in three different materials, including stainless steel, ceramic (available in black or white), and plastic. The plastic one is good for anyone on a budget, although the stainless steel and ceramic will be better choices if you want to help keep them germ-free, plus they’re sturdier.
The fountain offers two different drinking areas – one at the bottom of the fountain, and a larger still area, so your cat can choose their preference. These fountains have a 60 oz capacity.
The Catit Flower Fountain is a fun water fountain with a cute flower design on top. This is more than just an aesthetic choice though, since it offers multiple water streams flowing down the petals to entice your cat to drink.
There’s no bowl here for the water to stagnate, which should help to keep debris from settling in it. Instead, the water just constantly streams down from the flower top, with a choice of three different settings to suit your kitty if they’re a reluctant drinker – a gentle steady flow, a bubbling top or a calm stream.
It’s made from plastic, so not as robust as some other fountains, but it is BPA-free to ensure it’s non-toxic, and it can be disassembled for cleaning when needed.
Cat Mate offers two different plastic water fountains for cats, plus an extra-large one for any dog owners that want a water fountain as well. The cat fountains include a 67 oz one with two different water streams, giving any fussy kitties a choice of where to drink from.
Meanwhile, the 100 oz fountain is obviously larger, with a large bowl and an elevated shell fountain that runs much more gently and quietly. The shell does help to oxygenate the water, which helps to make it more appealing to your cat.
Both fountains are easy to clean, with plastic removable bowls that are safe for the dishwasher. And they both have filters included, which purifies the water and gives it a fresh clean taste.