iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The best cat water fountains will tempt your feline to drink more water. And as a devoted cat parent, you understand the importance of providing your kitty with fresh and clean water to support their health and well-being. Cat water fountains have emerged as an increasingly popular option, offering a range of benefits that go beyond traditional water bowls.
In this article, we’ll delve into the world of cat water fountains to bring you a comprehensive review of the best options available. We’ll explore key factors to consider when shopping for a cat fountain and address common questions cat caretakers often have. Whether you’re a first-time buyer or looking to upgrade your current fountain, read on to discover the purr-fect pour for your furry friend.
But first, let’s discuss the benefits of water fountains for cats.
What Are the Benefits of a Cat Water Fountain?
Check out these advantages of using a cat water fountain:
- Encourages hydration: Cats are known for their low thirst drive and often prefer running water. A fountain mimics the movement of water, which attracts cats and encourages them to drink more. This is particularly beneficial for cats prone to dehydration or urinary tract issues.
- Fresh, clean water: Fountains typically includes a built-in filtration system that helps remove impurities such as hair, debris, and bacteria from the water. This ensures a constant supply of fresh and clean water, which may be more appealing than water from a regular bowl.
- Reduces health risks: Stagnant water in bowls can become a breeding ground for bacteria and other contaminants, which may lead to health issues. A fountain’s filtration system helps prevent the growth of harmful microorganisms, reducing the risk of illnesses.
- Convenience: Fountains have larger water reservoirs than regular bowls, meaning you don’t have to refill them as frequently. This is incredibly convenient if you have a busy schedule or need to be away from home for extended periods.
- Stress reduction: The sound and sight of flowing water can have a calming effect on cats. It may help reduce their stress and anxiety levels, making them feel more comfortable and relaxed in their environment.
- Entertainment and stimulation: Some cats find water movement in a fountain intriguing and may enjoy playing with it. This provides entertainment and mental stimulation for your cat, especially if they tend to get bored easily.
- Multiple drinking stations: Many fountains have multiple spouts or streams, allowing multiple cats to drink simultaneously.
It’s important to note that while cat fountains offer numerous benefits, they should be cleaned regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions to maintain optimal hygiene and functionality.
Buyer’s Guide: What to Consider When Choosing The Best Cat Water Fountain
Size and Capacity
Consider the size of the fountain in relation to the available space in your home and the needs of your cat. If you have multiple cats or larger breeds, a fountain with a larger capacity may be more suitable to ensure an ample water supply.
Look for a cat water fountain that features an effective filtration system. A good filtration system helps remove impurities, hair, debris, and odors from the water, ensuring it remains clean and fresh for your cat to drink. Also, look for replacement parts online for the model you’re interested in to be sure you can replace parts when they wear out.
Material and Durability
Pay attention to the materials used in the construction of the fountain. Opt for stainless steel cat water fountains or BPA-free plastic options. That said, stainless steel is the top option as they’re easier to clean and don’t harbor bacteria like plastics can. Plus, cheap plastic can cause chin acne in some cats. If you choose to use a plastic cat water fountain, opt for one with a stainless steel top or one made with BPA-free plastics. Either material you choose, look for choices made with nontoxic materials that are resistant to scratching. Also, choose a durable fountain that won’t tip over, especially if you have an active or curious cat.
Consider the noise level produced by the water fountain. Some cats may be sensitive to loud or constant noise, so look for a fountain that operates quietly or has adjustable water flow settings to cater to your cat’s preferences. Remember, you’ll hear this fountain running, too, so choose quiet water fountains for your and your cat’s sake.
Ease of Cleaning
Regular cleaning is necessary to maintain the hygiene of the fountain. Look for a fountain that is easy to disassemble and clean, preferably one that is dishwasher-safe or has easily accessible parts for thorough cleaning. Ensure you can get in every nook and cranny to clear away all the biofilm, debris, and hair.
Design and Stability
Consider the design and stability of the water fountain. Ensure it has a stable base to prevent tipping and spilling. Some cats may also prefer certain types of water flow, such as fountains with gentle streams or cascading waterfalls, so consider your cat’s preferences.
In considering these factors, you can choose fountain that suits your cat’s needs and preferences while ensuring ease of use and maintenance for yourself as well.
The Best Cat Water Fountains
1 – PETLIBRO Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel
This best cat fountain is made of stainless steel for a clean and durable hydration experience that’s easy to refill and clean. A filter and pre-filter sponge provide double filtration to remove odors, hair, and debris. The lid lifts off and replaces easily for adding water. To turn it on/off, simply plug and unplug from wall outlet. In reading reviews, you’ll find this is one of the best-rated cat water fountains on Amazon.
- Easy to clean
- Quiet operation
- Corrosion & rust resistant
- Easy assembly
- More expensive than competitors
2 – oneisall Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel
The oneisall stainless steel cat water fountain provides a super-quiet experience with water that cascades over a center rise to fall into a wide bowl. The 360-degree multi-directional water flow allows more than one cat to sip at a time. Plus, the open bowl design means your cat always has access to water, even if the level runs too low to pump or the power goes out. An activated carbon filter and pre-filter sponge help keep water free of dirt, grime, and hair. This quiet cat water fountain is a win for thirsty cats and parents looking for a fountain that doesn’t make a big racket.
- Quiet operation
- Affordably priced
- Water gets dirty faster than closed fountain design
3 – Bento Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel
This sleek and efficient solution for keeping your feline friend hydrated offers a durable stainless steel construction that provides your cat with safe and clean drinking water. The multiple water flow settings offer options to suit your pet’s preferences, and the integrated 4-layer filtration system effectively removes impurities. The quiet operation is a bonus, ensuring a peaceful environment. Comes with three carbon filters and one foam filter.
- Easy to take apart for cleaning
- Great option for multi-cat households
- Affordably priced
- Pump may need replacing with less than a year of use
4 – Catit Senses 2.0 Flower Fountain
The Catit option is one of the best-rated cat water fountains on the market, thanks to Catit’s continued commitment to delivering high-quality cat products felines love. While it isn’t made of stainless steel, the plastic is safe and BPA-free. By adjusting the cute flower fountain head, you can select from one of three water flow settings to appease your cat best. It’s also available in two colors, or you can opt for a stainless-steel fountain top instead.
- Cute design
- Large water volume
- Highly rated by thousands of cat parents
- Low power usage
- Not made of stainless steel
5 – iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
The iPettie fountain’s ceramic construction not only adds a touch of elegance to any home decor but also ensures durability and easy cleaning. With its three-tiered design, the fountain provides multiple water streams, enticing cats to drink more. The ultra-quiet pump guarantees a peaceful environment, and the large water capacity eliminates the need for constant refills. Overall, the iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain combines aesthetics, functionality, and convenience, making it an excellent investment for cat hydration.
- Low power consumption
- Quiet pump
- Durable and easy to clean
- Pleasing design that matches any home
- More expensive than other options
- Ceramic is breakable
6 – PETLIBRO Cat Water Fountain
PETLIBRO makes the list of best cat water fountains again with a high-volume plastic cat water fountain that boasts a triple-filtration system, which purifies water by removing impurities, hair, and debris, ensuring fresh and clean water for your feline companion. The ultra-quiet pump creates a serene environment, and the adjustable water flow allows you to customize the drinking experience. Plus, the transparent bowl lets you see when it’s time for a refill. Comes with four replacement filters.
- Affordably priced
- Large volume
- Whisper quiet
- Easy to assemble
- Non-slip rubber grips
- Some reviewers mention bowl leaks
7 – uahpet Water Fountain
This wireless cat water fountain gives you the power of placement choice as it’s battery-operated. And with two smart modes, you can choose between motion activated, which releases water for 30-35 seconds when it senses your cat, or the timed mode, which releases water every 15 minutes. Made of food-grade ABS, PP, and Silica gel materials, you’ll find it easy to clean and maintain. The battery can be recharged for up to 30-120 days of use, depending on the number of times it releases water.
- No electrical cords
- Affordably priced
- Amazing filtration
- Quiet, no-tip design
- Battery can be recharged
- Takes a long time to charge fully
8 – Homtyler Cat Water Fountain
The unique red buoy in the Homtyler’s stainless steel cat water fountain allows you to monitor the water so you don’t have to hear the sputtering of an empty fountain bowl anymore! Just watch as the buoy goes down and know right when to add water. And if this fountain stops working within a year of purchase, the manufacturer offers a full refund.
- Affordable price
- Red buoy lets you watch water level
- Triple filtration for clean water
- Low noise level
- First-time installation may be tricky
FAQs About the Best Cat Water Fountains
Do cats prefer water fountains over bowls?
Cats’ preferences regarding water fountains versus bowls can vary. However, many cats do show a preference for water fountains. The flowing water in fountains mimics natural water sources, which can attract cats due to their association with freshness. The movement and sound of the water can also encourage cats to drink more frequently, promoting better hydration. Additionally, some cats may have an aversion to still water, and the continuous circulation and filtration in fountains help keep the water fresh and appealing. Ultimately, while not all cats may prefer water fountains, they can be beneficial for encouraging cats to drink more water and stay hydrated.
Do vets recommend water fountains for cats?
Many veterinarians recommend water fountains for cats, especially those with low water intake or prone to urinary tract issues. Here are a few reasons why vets may suggest water fountains:
- Increased water consumption: Cats are often prone to dehydration due to their low thirst drive. Water fountains can entice cats to drink more water by providing a more appealing and interactive drinking experience. This helps ensure they stay adequately hydrated, which is crucial for their overall health.
- Urinary tract health: Cats, particularly males, are susceptible to urinary tract issues like crystals and bladder stones. Increased water intake can help prevent these conditions by diluting the urine and flushing out the urinary system. Water fountains encourage cats to drink more water, reducing the risk of such problems.
- Encourages kidney health: Adequate hydration is essential for kidney function. Water fountains can promote proper kidney health by encouraging cats to drink more water, which helps flush toxins and waste products from their bodies.
While water fountains for cats are generally recommended, it’s important to consult your veterinarian to determine the best approach for your specific cat, as individual needs and preferences may vary.
How do I introduce a cat to a water fountain?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you introduce your cat to a water fountain:
- Placement: Choose an accessible location your cat frequents, away from their litter box or feeding area. Ensure it’s stable and placed on a non-slip surface.
- Familiarize your cat: Allow your cat to get accustomed to the fountain by placing it near their regular water bowl. Let them investigate and sniff the fountain without turning it on, helping them become familiar with its presence and scent.
- Turn on the fountain: Once your cat is comfortable with the presence of the fountain, turn it on using a low or quiet setting. Allow your cat to observe the flowing water from a safe distance. Some cats may be curious and approach immediately, while others may need more time to adjust.
- Encourage exploration: Encourage your cat to investigate the fountain by placing treats or their favorite toys near it. You can dip your finger in the flowing water and let them sniff or lick it. Positive reinforcement and encouragement will help build their confidence.
- Gradual transition: Keep your cat’s regular bowl nearby and filled with water. Slowly reduce the water in the bowl while ensuring the fountain remains clean and filled to gradually transition your cat to relying on the fountain.
- Monitor and reward: Monitor your cat’s behavior and ensure they use the fountain. Encourage and praise them when you see them drinking from it.
- Patience and persistence: Some cats may take time to accept the fountain. Be patient and give them time to adjust at their own pace. Avoid forcing or overwhelming them, as it may create a negative association.
Every cat is unique, and the introduction process may vary. Stay consistent, provide positive reinforcement, and ensure the fountain is always clean to encourage your cat’s acceptance and usage.
How often should I change the water in a cat fountain?
The water in a cat fountain should ideally be changed every 2 – 3 days to maintain its cleanliness and freshness. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the type of fountain, ambient temperature, and water quality. Plus, your kitty may drink most of the water in the fountain within those few days and require more. Daily monitoring of the water’s cleanliness is essential, and if any visible impurities, debris, or changes in color or odor are noticed, the water should be changed immediately. Additionally, following the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and regular fountain cleaning will help ensure the water remains fresh for your cat.
Can I use tap water in a cat fountain?
Yes, you can generally use tap water in a cat water fountain. Most tap water is safe for cats to drink, but monitoring the water quality is important, as it can vary by location. If you have concerns about the taste or quality of tap water, use filtered water instead. A good rule of thumb—if you won’t drink it, don’t serve it to your cat.
How often should a cat water fountain be cleaned?
A fountain for cats should be cleaned regularly to ensure the water remains clean and free from contaminants. Here are some general guidelines for cleaning frequency:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: Different fountains may have specific recommendations for cleaning intervals. Consult the instruction manual provided by the manufacturer for accurate guidance on cleaning frequency.
- Daily maintenance: Perform daily maintenance tasks such as removing debris, hair, or any visible impurities from the fountain. Wipe down the exterior surfaces to keep them clean.
- Regular deep cleaning: Besides daily maintenance, a more thorough cleaning should be done at regular intervals. This typically involves disassembling the fountain and cleaning all the removable parts, such as the reservoir, pump, and filters (if applicable). The frequency of deep cleaning can vary depending on factors like the water quality, the number of cats using the fountain, and the manufacturer’s recommendations. Aim for a deep cleaning every 2-3 weeks as a general guideline.
- Monitor for signs of contamination: Keep a close eye on the water quality and fountain cleanliness. If you notice any signs of contamination, such as slime, mold, or an unpleasant odor, clean the fountain immediately, regardless of the regular cleaning schedule.
Regular and thorough cleaning helps maintain the freshness and hygiene of the fountain, ensuring your cat has access to clean and safe drinking water.
Is it safe to leave a cat water fountain running all the time?
Yes, it is generally safe to leave a cat water fountain running all the time. Continuous circulation helps maintain the freshness of the water, encourages cats to drink more, and provides a constant supply of clean water. However, regular maintenance, including cleaning and filter replacement, is essential to ensure the fountain functions properly and remains hygienic. Additionally, periodic checks for malfunctions or damage are essential to ensure the fountain operates safely. Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for your specific fountain model to ensure safe and proper usage.
In conclusion, choosing the right cat water fountain can significantly benefit your feline companion’s health and well-being. After extensive research and analysis, we have identified the top cat fountains that offer fresh, flowing water, durable construction, and easy maintenance. Whether your cat prefers a compact design, quiet operation, or advanced filtration system, there’s a choice on our list to suit their needs. Invest in one of these top-rated fountains and provide your cat with a constant source of clean and enticing water. And for your cat’s continued health and happiness, don’t forget to take all the parts of your fountain apart for thorough cleanings at least once a month!
[templatera id= “3493224”]